facebooklike

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Think before you eat....

When you stop to see the amount of empty calories an average American consumes each year, it's enough for you to want to run a marathon to burn it all up. It's crazy how unhealthy some of our habits could be. Sometime a year and half ago, I had gone to the doctor for some kidney infection, and he did full blood work to make sure everything was OK. When the results came back, he looked me in the eye and said, "Honey your sugar is way too high for your age!" You see, these are not pleasant words for me, my family has a history of diabetes so, if I wanted to stay healthy I needed to make some changes. Especially because diabetes can be the leading cause of kidney damage, and considering I only have one I have to take care of it. I started to look at my eating patterns and although I have a sweet tooth, this alone could not be the cause of my high sugar levels. As I decided to change my lifestyle around I began to see how we can damage our bodies when we're not cautious of what we're eating. Now I am not saying for us to eat like birds or rabbits for the rest of our lives, I am saying we need to take it upon ourselves to be more cautious and find a balance in our nutrition. I wanted to share some "eat this not that" options I found in my little research.


FAIL:Dairy Queen Double Fudge Cookie Dough Blizzard (Large):1,350 calories
58 g fat (28 g saturated, 1.5 g trans)
133 g sugars
WINNING:Eat This Instead! Dairy Queen Chocolate Sundae with Cookie Dough Topping (Small size)
360 calories
14 g fat (10.5 g saturated)
45 g sugars

FAIL:McDonald’s Big Breakfast with Large Biscuit, Hotcakes, and syrup:1,330 calories
60 g fat (20 g saturated)
2,280 mg sodium
49 g sugars
WINNING:Eat This Instead! McDonald’s Egg McMuffin with Fruit 'n Yogurt Parfait
460 calories
14 g fat (6 g saturated)
905 mg sodium
24 g sugars

FAIL:Quizno’s Large Tuna Melt:1,450 calories
98 g fat (20 g saturated, 1 g trans)
1,910 mg sodium
WINNING:Eat This Instead! Quizno’s Regular Honey Bourbon Chicken
520 calories
8 g fat (3 g saturated)
1,470 mg sodium

FAIL:Stouffer's White Meat Chicken Pot Pie (large):1,160 calories
66 g fat (26 g saturated)1,780 mg sodium
WINNING: Eat this Instead! Stouffer's Chicken a la King
360 calories
12g fat (4g saturated)
800mg sodium

FAIL:Blimpie Special Vegetarian: 1,180 calories
59 g fat (18 g saturated)
3,540 mg sodium
WINNING: Eat this Instead!Mediterranean Ciabatta
450 Calories
8g fat (3g saturated)
1,720 mg sodium

FAIL:Wendy's Triple Baconator:1,350 calories
90 g fat (40 g saturated, 3.5 g trans)
2,780 mg sodium
WINNING: Eat this instead! Double Stack with Bacon
400 Calories
21 g fat (9g saturated)
990 mg sodium

FAIL:Domino's Chicken Carbonara Breadbowl Pasta:1,480 calories
56 g fat (24 g saturated)
2,220 mg sodium
WINNING: Eat this Instead! Hand tossed pizza with grilled chicken, peppers and Parmesan(2 slices)
430 calories
16 g fat(7g saturated)
1030 mg sodium

FAIL:Uno Chicago Grill Classic Deep Dish Pizza (individual size)
2,310 calories
165 g fat (54 g saturated)
4,920 mg sodium

WINNING: Eat this instead! Cheese and tomato half pizza and a house side salad
495 calories
22 g fat (8 g saturated)
1065 mg sodium

SO you see, we don't have to deprive ourselves, just make better choices. A little swap here and there can go a long way! (=

No comments: