facebooklike

Thursday, May 19, 2011

REAL PEOPLE-REAL RESULTS( Olivia Alincastre McAdamis)

Bloggers meet Olivia! She's just awesome! When I begun my P90X journey we became friends through Facebook and the P90X women's page.. She answered allot of my question and would randomly send me motivation which helped allot! I wanted to interview her for my blog, because, she's a mother, a wife a real person with real results! Let's hear from Olivia (=

Gigi: How would you describe your life before you lifestyle change?
Olivia: I didn’t think about my health, AT ALL! I ate what I wanted, and if I ever felt like working out, it was in passing, and never really occurred. My time with my kids wasn’t as fun because I never had very much energy. Walking up a flight of stairs was sometimes all I could take cardio-wise.Though most people would have never looked at me and thought that I was overweight, at 134 pounds and only 5 feet tall, I KNEW that my body fat percentage put me in that category. THAT was always in the back of my head. I typically avoided mirrors and got dressed in the dark, only to look in a mirror when I was fully clothed, or when I was doing my hair and makeup. My self-image suffered greatly, as well.
Gigi: What made you decide to begin exercising and eating right?
Olivia: It was Lent a couple years ago when I decided – I was so tired of being tired and depressed about how I looked! As a Catholic, I was raised to make a sacrifice through the 40 days of Lent, so I chose to sacrifice the time I usually spent watching TV or napping and spend it working out DAILY. After those 40 days, it had become a habit! The nutrition part of it came along gradually, though I do remember an instance in which I had brought home my weekly Quarter Pounder with Cheese. I took a bite, and had a light bulb moment. I was sabotaging my success. Exercise doesn’t mean that I get to eat whatever I want. If I wanted REAL results (a strong AND healthy body) I needed to feed it properly. Over time, we’ve taken many things out of our diet (high fructose corn syrup, sodium, artificial sweeteners, etc.) and added in more healthful items (more fruits and veggies, lean proteins, snacks like Greek yogurt and light cheeses) and recently, we’ve decided to eat vegetarian once per week and limit our red meat meals to once per week!
Gigi: What was your biggest challenge?
Olivia: Eating out. I’m a foodie. I like to eat good food, but good food at a restaurant is not typically healthy food. The food I cook at home is usually very good and very healthy, but finding healthy foods when we go out to eat as a family can be a difficult task. I’ve learned that most restaurants, even the chains, will make a special meal for you that may not be on their menu, or even alter the menu items so that they are healthier. You just have to ask! Also, I’ve learned to plan my restaurant dinner ahead of time by looking at the menu online. Sometimes, larger restaurant chains will put their nutritional information on their website – this is especially helpful. If it’s a fancier dinner, then this is not usually the case, so knowing a few “red-flag” words (i.e., au gratin, basted, breaded, crispy, loaded, smothered) can be VERY helpful in making a healthy decision.
Gigi: How do you balance motherhood with your healthy lifestyle?
Olivia: It can be a difficult balance. When I started 2 years ago, my youngest daughter was just about 2 years old. She still napped a few hours in the afternoon, so I had plenty of time to work out during her naptimes. While napping may be a thing of the past, Audrey knows that after lunch is either quiet-time or naptime in her room, and that it’s Mommy’s time to work out. Maria, my 7year old, when not in school, usually fills that time with books, coloring and computer time. But in all honesty, it is my healthy lifestyle that helps me to balance the daily stresses of motherhood. If I’m having a rough day with the girls, a good, tough workout is just what I need to take my mind off the “troubles” and come up with a fresh, yet sweaty, face. It’s actually quite relieving!
Gigi: What is your favorite work out?
Olivia: I have many at home work outs that I love (P90X, TurboFire, Insanity), but my all time FAVORITE workout is horseback riding. I basically lived my tween through teen years at a stable. Horseback riding is great for the core – trotting, cantering, jumping force you to keep proper posture and keep your trunk strong. It is also a great workout for the legs and bootie! I don’t have many opportunities to ride anymore, so in the meantime, I work out at home with my favorite trainers, Chalene Johnson, Tony Horton, Shaun Thompson and Leandro Carvalho!
Gigi: How to you stay motivated on the days where you feel overwhelmed?
Olivia: Being overwhelmed, for me, is usually a good thing! HAHA! I usually get more done when I have a lot on my plate, but usually organizing my schedule the night before a busy day/week puts things into perspective. I try to break things down into easily achievable goals on a daily basis, and then it doesn’t look so bad. This isn’t to say that I NEVER feel like the sky is falling on me, because, well, I’m a mom, and sometimes that’s just how we feel, but usually, organizing my tasks keeps me from losing my mind!Additionally, being a Team Beachbody Coach is motivation in itself. I have a team of people who look to me for motivation, so that motivates me to work as hard as I can during my work outs. I’m inspired those that I coach, and their transformations, and it makes me work twice as hard!
Gigi: What are you health goals?
Olivia: My goal is to be the best example for my friends and family. I’m a real person, not a movie star or professional athlete. I want to show my friends and family that overall health and fitness can be achieved by anyone on ANY budget, no matter your time restrictions or schedules!My physical goal would be to finally have six pack abs, but I’ll take a flat, post-two-baby tummy without a doubt!
Gigi: Do you incorporate your family in your healthy habits?
Olivia: My kids love to exercise – they even have DVDs by Tony Horton (of P90X fame) and Shaun T (of Insanity and Insanity: The Asylum). My oldest daughter just finished her first track season, as well. Also, I allow them to help me prepare our weekly dinner menu. I take their suggestions and apply them to the menu each week, so that they always have something to look forward to each week. They still have cravings for McD’s Chicken McNuggets. It’s slow progress with them, but they’re coming around! My husband is my workout buddy, though we work out at different times of the day. It’s a great way for us to bond, and gives us something else to talk about besides the kids. On days when I just don’t want to work out, he’s usually the one that gives me that extra push to get it done!
Gigi: What would you say to someone who has lost will power after having kids, and wants to get in shape?
Olivia: Do it for you kiddos. Kids like having parents who will run around and play. Setting an example for your kids now will set them up well for their futures. My girls LOVE to see me and my husband flex our biceps at them… they think it’s hysterical! And then they say, “I want muscles, too,” and then proceed to do push-ups and jumping jacks in the kitchen! A fit family is a fun family!
Any motivational quotes?
I was born and raised in Chicago, so I LOVE Michael Jordan…
“If you're trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I've had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.”

“Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.”

If you’d like to learn more about becoming Beachbody products (P90X, Insanity, TurboFire, ChaLean Extreme) or becoming a Team Beachbody Coach, you can visit my website.  http://www.beachbodycoach.com/fit4lifeolivia

If you’re interested in having me as your FREE coach, you may also use the above link, and click on JOIN! Your fitness transformation will only cost you some hard work and sweat (maybe some self-induced tears), but my coaching is always FREE!



No comments: