facebooklike

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Yummy Juice


So.... I hear about people Juicing, but it sounds so hard to keep up. I decided to make at least 1 healthy juice which I always have in my refrigerator, where at least once a day i can have at least 1 cup. I decided to make a juice which is very popular in Brazil, and also very healthy. The ingredients may sound yucky, but the end result is very yummy.

3 full leaves of raw collard green
3 cups of orange (I use the Tropicana)
2 lemons or powered lemonade
3 spoons of flax seed.

Tip: You can add some crushed mint for extra flavor.

I make enough to fill my glass juice pitcher and I keep in the refrigerator. Once I am almost halfway done, I make more, to make sure I always have it available. I love drinking this after a run.


Mix it all in the blender until collard green and flax seed are completely dissolved.

Here's the health benefits of these yummy ingredients

Collard greens are packed with nutrition. As other vegetables in the cabbage family,
collard greens provide anticancer properties. They offer an excellent source of
vitamins B6 and C, carotenes, chlorophyll, and manganese. One cup of collard greens
provides more than 70 percent of the RDA for vitamin C. Collard greens are also a
very good source of fiber, and several minerals, including iron, copper, and calcium.
They also offer a good source of vitamins B1, B2, and E.

An orange packs over 170 different phytonutrients and more than 60 flavonoids, many of which have been shown to have anti-inflammatory, anti-tumour and blood clot inhibiting properties, as well as strong anti-oxidant effects.The combination of the high amount of anti-oxidant (vitamin C) and flavonoids in oranges makes it one of the best fruits in helping to promote optimal health.

Lemon is a rich source of vitamins A, B and C, citric acid, amino acids, phosphorous, copper, magnesium, potassium, sugar and calcium. And it is also very good for your liver and it also improves bowel movement and reduces wrinkling. Slow bowel movement is dangerous to your body and retains toxins. But lemon is powerful enough to remove all that. Lemon is also great for dental and skin care.

Flaxseed, read earlier blog post.

Sources:Murray , Michael N.D.. The Encyclopedia Of Healing Foods,New York: Atria Books, 2005,Centers For Disease Control And Prevention-5 A Day,
National Agricultural Library-USDA. usda.gov.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hummmm! I will try some of that! Looks healthy! :)

First Time Momma said...

ew....wont be trying that lol
-sofia-

Gisela Mendes said...

it tastes super good.. ill make you some sofia (=